Thursday, October 22, 2009

Togo Update




Here he is , three years old. In the picture with him is my son, he is 5'6" so that tells something of his size, since they are also on a slope Togo being at the down hill side. Togo weighs 127 lbs, all solid muscle. He was heavier - about 135 lbs and the vet told us to make sure he does not get any heavier. We cut down on some "fattier" treats and he mostly gets carrots for treats, tons of carrots, I have been asked at grocery stores if I have a horse, the answer always is that I have a dog the size of a horse. He loves all the other vegetables too, except for celery, won't touch it. Lettuce leaves and Spinach leaves are especially yummy.

Togo loves other dogs, he just wants to play - I have noticed that Togo almost never barks at any other dogs, even if they are barking at him - he just don't care. He is not a barker in general - he only barks if someone is approaching the house, and he stops once people reach the house and he gets to see who they are. I think I read somewhere that the breed is known for not barking. So far we have not had any health issues with him, I worry sometimes, especially about his hips and joints. Does anyone have an older Mastador out there who could shed light on some issues we might face later on, we are giving him the dog food that has vitamins and other stuff for joint and hip health added.

Take care everyone

Leena

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sherman is my Mastador and I love him! He is about
7 yrs. old and looks almost identical to yours.
Making sure he drinks lots and lots of water is a great
preventative for future joint aches. His food consists of a handful of kibble, some meat, chicken or small can of *good* dog food and plenty of warm water for
soup dinner/lunch once a day. Then dry kibble is always available and never ever buy kibble with corn as the #1 ingredient.
All the best, here he is...
/Users/katedoran/Desktop/Photo 80.jpg

Moosey said...

Hi! I've been told glucosamine tablets are good for dogs prone to joint diseases. I give Rocco some every now and then. You can buy glucosamine for dogs, but also for humans. A friend of mine who runs says after taking glucosamine, he found his joints didn't hurt as much after running.

Unknown said...

I have a 1 year old masstador who has sever hip dysplasia in both hips, he gets two glucosamine pills a day (500mg) morning and nite as well as a cartrifen injection once a month to every 6 weeks ( at this point) to help with pain.... this is a dog who you would never know anything is wrong with him he still jumps and runs like a little puppy. there is also an antiinflamitory called metacam you can get threw your vet if it comes to that

FyoraSilverwolf said...

I've looked at all the pictures on the Mastador website and noticed that none of them look like my Mastiff/Labrador mix. He's white, resembling a polar bear (as he is most definitely larger than the largest Labradors I have seen, and he is almost as tall as our Great Dane but is most definitely wider).

Is that possible with true Mastadors or do they have to have darker colored coats?

KJ said...

White is supposedly the most common color of a mastador!