Monday, April 14, 2008

Good treat alternatives

Instead of buying expensive, processed biscuits, you can give your dog carrots and apples as treats. Just don't give them apple seeds since the seeds, like seeds of many other fruits, contain trace amounts of cyanide. (Yes, so it's bad for you, too). Although, eating one apple and all its seeds won't do much harm to you or your dog. Just avoid them to be safe.

Rocco loves carrots and apples. I don't give him too much though, because I'm afraid too much of the fruits and veggies will upset his stomach. Just like it will upset mine.

I've read on various web posts that dogs seem to like regular carrots over baby carrots. Since I buy baby carrots for myself, I haven't given Rocco any regular ones, but I might try that next time I go to the store.

Also, does anyone feed their dogs raw chicken? I'll have to ask the vet next time we go, but I've seen on a lot of mastiff breeder sites that they feed their puppies and dogs raw chicken (plus bone). The say raw, the bone doesn't splinter. And the raw meat is good for dogs.

I know a dog's stomach is much stronger than humans, so they can overcome salmonella in ways we can't. I've given Rocco raw chicken only a few times and he seems to love them and had no issues. Again, I can't be sure.

I've also read that you can give your dog cooked cow bones -- like from the leg. There's good marrow in there, and after they get that out, they have a safe bone to chew on. I've made this for Rocco several times (I just boil the bones for about 20 minutes). He loves the bones and just keeps playing with them and trying to chew them long after any marrow is gone. And the bone doesn't seem to wear down much at all. I just replace the bone when I think it's time. Pretty arbitrary though.

2 comments:

www.mastador.com said...

Jake loves carrots and apples, even broccoli. I have never given him raw chicken, but he does get cooked chicken in his food mixed with dry dog food, no bones. Let me check, BRB...He get Solid Gold, Hundin Floggin, what ever that means, about 3 cups twice daily mixed with one meat of a chicken thigh with a splash of cold water. We used to heat it up, but he sometimes throws it up when hot!

Moosey said...

Wow! Jake eats like a king!

We just got back from the beach with Rocco, and he's had plenty of treats (in terms of human food). He's had some leftover chicken, steak and even shrimp. I try to wash off any extra salt (I soak the food in water) before giving it to him. He's also had some ice cream. I think we're lucky he didn't really get sick.